Raised Edging and Details Tutorial!

All Bernina CosComp contestant tutorials are to be posted here. Tutorials will then be uploaded to the main site. Don't forget to include your social media links!
TiffanyDeanCosplay

CosComp Contestant
Instagram: tiffanydeancosplay

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 am

Not sure how to get edges and details without them looking a tad flat? Do you want a bit of dimension in them?

Here's how I made the gold edging details on my Battle for Azeroth Jaina Proudmoore cosplay! I used craft foam and faux leatherette, but you can use any fabric that suits your needs :)

One thing to be mindful of is the stretch of the fabric. Craft foam stretches too, so if you don't have a foot on your sewing machine that feeds through sticky, stretchy fabric well, your details / edges will stretch and then be a warped shape. I had to stitch all of my gold edging / details by hand - it was extremely time consuming but gave a much better result :)

If you want your edges thicker and stiffer, use thicker foam, or use foam on both sides. I used craft foam under the gold on the outer side of all areas it was used, and used the gold by itself on the underside so it had distinct 3D detail but wasn't too rigid :)
Attachments
Raised Edges Tutorial.jpg
Raised Edges Tutorial.jpg (170.76 KiB) Viewed 15 times